Slave Lake, Alta. - The Slave Lake RCMP will be participating in a theft reduction campaign to kick-off 2019. The "Lock it or Lose it" campaign will begin on January 7, 2019 and will involve officers from the local detachment distributing crime prevention tips and scanning parked vehicles to identity vehicles that are unlocked, left running and unattended or contain valuables within view.
"We would like to remind everyone to lock their vehicles and keep valuables away from view. Stolen vehicles are often used to commit other types of crime. Following these simple steps not only protects your own vehicle and property, it also helps to keep the community safe from other types of crime." S/Sgt John Spaans, Detachment Commander Slave Lake RCMP
- In 2018, a total of 60 vehicles were reported stolen to the Slave Lake RCMP
- In 2018 over 50 incidents of theft from a vehicle were reported to the Slave Lake RCMP
- From January to August of 2018, 6667 vehicles were reported stolen to Alberta RCMP detachments
- During the same time, Alberta RCMP received over 7000 reports of theft from a vehicle
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times.
- Secure equipment and valuables stored in truck beds with locks.
- Do not keep your garage door opener in your vehicle. This could give thieves access to your residence and valuables.
- Store your vehicles registration in a secure and hidden location. This information could be used in identity theft.