Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I want to immigrate to Slave Lake. How do I obtain a Letter of Endorsement?
    1. The Town of Slave Lake cannot offer Letters of Endorsement directly to prospective candidates. Candidates must receive a job offer from an employer who is based in Slave Lake and has been approved by the Town under the Rural Renewal Stream. It is the responsibility of the employer to apply to the program, vet and select the best candidate and request a Letter of Endorsement on their behalf. Once an employer has been approved under the Rural Renewal Program, their eligible job vacancies will be posted to the Job Board. Prospective employees must follow the application details within each job posting.
  2. Is the program open to candidates who are already in Canada?
    1. The Rural Renewal Program is open to prospective employees who are outside Canada, as well as those who are already in Canada. Candidates already in Canada must be here with valid temporary status.
  3. Once I receive a Letter of Endorsement, how soon do I need to apply to the Alberta Advantage Immigration Program?
    1. Once the Letter of Endorsement is issued, the employee is expected to enter their information into the AAIP Portal as soon as possible. This is part of their commitment to the employer and the community. Once the information is entered into the portal, the nomination for permanent residency begins immediately.
  4. As a local employer with labour needs, how do I know if the Rural Renewal Stream (RRS) is the best option for me?
    1. The RRS is a good option for employers who are having difficulties finding candidates who are qualified to fill a given position or are willing to perform the work required and where existing federal temporary worker programs are not a good fit for their business needs.
    2. The RRS is an opportunity to hire a candidate with temporary status in the community that the business wouldn’t otherwise be able to hire under current federal or provincial temporary worker programs. The RRS is also an opportunity to bring new individuals into the community who will be the right fit for the needed position. The RRS also presents the employer with the possibility of a candidate staying on with the business on a permanent basis once they’ve acquired Permanent Resident status.
  5. Do employers need to complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
    1. The RRS offers employers the opportunity to wave the LMIA for the job vacancies by requesting a Letter of Endorsement from the Town of Slave Lake. An LMIA is not required for employers who recruit for vacant positions through this program.
  6. What happens if the job doesn’t work out?
    1. Both the employer and employee still have their rights under the Employment Standards Code. Should the employer or employee choose to end the employment agreement, the employer must follow employment standards and regulations to terminate their employment. Once employment has been terminated, it is the responsibility of the employer to notify the Town of Slave Lake Economic Development Department who will notify the AAIP of the change in status of the employee.
  7. As an Immigration Consultant, can I represent a business?
    1. If a Slave Lake business has hired a representative, that representative is welcome to contact us and send in the application, so long as the employer or registered signor for the business signs the application and is copied via email when requesting acceptance into the program. If a consultant is not representing a local employer, any RRS related questions should be directed to the province of Alberta.
  8. Can the Town of Slave Lake answer specific immigration questions regarding applications or candidates?
    1. No. The best place to look for information on the RRS program and updates in the provincial page: Rural Renewal Stream |